Public Works Services

Bio Solutions



Public Works Questions

What are your operating hours?

We are open Monday thru Friday, 6:30am - 3:00pm

What are your operating hours?

Public Works Department

3940 Illinois Street
Semmes, AL 36575

The facility is located on Illinois Street which is located between Regions Bank and the Post Office, 2 miles west of Moffett & Schillinger Road.

Parks and Right-of-Ways Questions

How do I report high grass and roadside litter?

Call (251) 649-5752 and make a citizen’s request.

How often do you cut the City’s Right-of-Ways?

We have full time crews on site every working day.

Does the City remove dead trees?

We remove dead/diseased trees located on City property or Right-of-Ways only.

Does the City inspect trees for residents that may pose a hazard?

Yes, but only if they are on the City’s Right-of-Way. Please call (251) 649-5752 to submit a citizen request.

Does the city trim, cut or remove vegetation that may pose a public hazard?

The City only removes trees, brush, bushes or grass from the right-of-way.

What do I do if a tree limb has fallen into the street?

During business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) call the Public Works Office at (251) 649-5752.

Who is responsible for “street trees?”

“Street trees” are defined as trees that are located within the right-of-way. Responsibilities for street trees are divided between the city and the owner of the property adjacent to the street tree. In order to keep the City streets and sidewalks safe for the public, the City is authorized to remove dead street trees in the right-of-way and may remove street trees or limbs from street trees when, in the opinion of the Public Works Director or his/her designee, they threaten imminent danger to the public in the right-of-way, street, utility or sidewalk. Where a street tree does not interfere with sidewalk or street traffic or pose a threat to public rights-of-way, but may pose a concern to the Owner of the adjacent properties, remediation of that tree concern shall be the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. The adjacent property owner shall obtain a permit for any removal or substantial pruning of street trees, if deemed a “Heritage Tree” as defined by COS Ordinance 2015-04.

A street light is out or not working properly, who do I call to get it repaired?

Alabama Power repairs and maintains all city street lights. They can be contacted at 1 (888) 891-0938, or online at this link.

Who should I call about a dead animal in the street or R.O.W.?

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752. (NOTE: The City does NOT pick up dead animals on private property.)

Who should I call if the traffic signals are not working?

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752.

My street is too dark. Can I get a street light installed?

The City only provides street lighting throughout the City limits in areas that are potential traffic hazards (intersections, sharp curves). If you would like to request a location to be lighted you may submit the request to the Public Works Department.

Who should I contact if a stop or street/traffic sign is missing or a post is broken?

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752.

I have a pothole in my street or if I have a need for street repairs, who do I call?

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752. Please have the general location of the road issues available

Who do I call to report a drainage issue?

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752. We will determine if you are in our city limits.

I have some tree limbs will the city pick them up?

The City of Semmes does not currently pick up tree debris or garbage. Please make your own arrangements to have your debris removed.

My ditch needs cleaned/cut, will the city perform this service?

The City does maintain ditches within the City limits.

My sewer is backed up or I have a sewer smell in my house. What can I do?

The City of Semmes does not currently have utility services. Depending on your location, you may call South Alabama Utilities or Mobile Area Water and Sewer Service (MAWSS).

Where can I find information about city funded street and utility projects that are taking place in Semmes?

You may check this website under Current Capital Projects/Improvements, or call Public Works at (251) 649-5752.

Where are the utilities located or near my property?

Call 811 and they will perform a utility locate for you.

I need a traffic sign installed.

Call Public Works at (251) 649-5752. We will make a determination if a traffic sign is needed.

Does Public Works provide water and power services? If so, in which areas?

The City of Semmes does not currently provide water and power services. Depending on your location, MAWSS or South Alabama Utilities provide water, and Alabama Power provides electricity.

Where can I dispose or recycle household hazardous waste (HHW) and electronic waste like paint, expired medicines, solvents, fertilizer, pesticides, household cleaners, oil, batteries, computers, and televisions?

Mobile County has a recycle center on Hitt Road.

Jason Franklin
Public Works Director

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm

City Hall Address:
One Main Street
Semmes, AL 36575

Phone: (251) 649-5752
Fax: (251) 649-5788

Bid Solicitations

Bid Procurement Process

The City of Semmes abides by the Competitive Bid Laws according to Sections 41-16-50 through 41-16-63, Code of Alabama 1975.

Competitive Bid Law:

The expenditure of funds of whatever nature for labor services, work, or for the purchase or lease of materials, equipment, supplies or other personal property, involving $15,000 or more shall be made under contractual agreement entered into by free and open competitive bidding, on sealed bids, to the lowest responsible bidder.

Notice Requirements:

Purchases in excess of $15,000 shall be advertised by posting notice thereof on a bulletin board maintained outside the purchasing office (City Hall) and in any other manner and for such lengths of time as may be determined, provided however, that sealed bids shall also be solicited by sending notice by mail to all persons, firms or corporations who have filed a request in writing that they be listed for solicitation on bids for such particular items as set forth in such request.

For exemptions see Section 41-16-50, Code of Alabama 1975

Public Works Bidding:

Public works projects are specifically exempt from the regular bid law. Public works projects involving expenditures of less than $50,000 do not have to bid.

Notice Requirements:

For public works contracts between $50,000 and $500,000, the municipality must publish notice of the request for bids at least once in a newspaper of general circulation published in the municipality. If there is no newspaper in the municipality, then the municipality must simply post the request for bids on a bulletin board maintained outside the purchasing office (city hall).

Jason Franklin
Public Works Director

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm

City Hall Address:
One Main Street
Semmes, AL 36575

Phone: (251) 649-5752
Fax: (251) 649-5788

The municipality must also send notice by mail to all persons who have filed a request in writing to be notified of a solicitation for bids for the type public works project in the request.

For public works contracts over $500,000, the municipality must satisfy the above requirements and must also advertised for sealed bids at least once in three newspapers of general circulation throughout the state

For exceptions see Section 39-2-1, Code of Alabama 1975.

To be listed for solicitation on bids please notify City Hall at (251) 649-5752.

Sealed bids for either above listed scenario will be opened and read aloud by the City Clerk at a public meeting. Bids will be tabulated and a recommendation will be made to the City Council. The lowest responsible bidder will be awarded the contract by vote of the City Council at a City Council Regular Session meeting.

Learn More about the Code of Alabama 1975 – Article 2 – State Bid Laws

Would you like to be notified when we are soliciting new bids?

Sign Up for our vendor List

Public Works Services

The Public Works and Parks and Recreation Departments

 These departments support essential infrastructure services to the City and the community by providing on-going maintenance of right of ways, streets, drainage maintenance, traffic signs, lights and signals. Capital projects are also managed through Public Works.

Duties and Responsibilities

The Public Works Department provides construction, technical, permitting, and planning services to the City and its citizens in order to enhance the overall infrastructure and development of the City.

Infrastructure inspection is performed on any infrastructure within right of way that will be maintained by the City to include:

Roadway and bridge construction

Utility construction

Subdivision development

Storm water and erosion control

Permitting – Includes utilities, storm water/erosion control, driveways, and city-required permits.

Jason Franklin
Public Works Director

Office Hours:
Monday – Friday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm

City Hall Address:
One Main Street
Semmes, AL 36575

Phone: (251) 649-5752
Fax: (251) 649-5788

Summary of Public Works Maintenance Services:

Litter Removal

Crews perform routine litter and dead animal removal within the streets and right of ways of the City limits.

Street Repairs/Pothole Patching

Crews repair potholes and street failures routinely and upon request within the City limits.

Ditch and Drainage Maintenance

Crews repair drains, inlets, and eroded ditches within the City limits upon inspection or request.

Right of Way Mowing and Trimming

Crews mow and trim City Right-of-ways, Parks, and Facilities on a routine basis during the growing season.Priority is given to major through fares, but requests will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please call the Public Works department for non-routine maintenance requests.

Traffic Lights and Signals

The City contracts all traffic light and signal maintenance to a certified and licensed contractor.

Traffic and Street Signs

Crews repair and replace all street and traffic signs within the City limits as needed.

To request any of the services above, please call the Public Works Department or
fill out a request on the Report a Concern page and submit.

City News

Changes Coming Soon! Exciting News for Semmes. Mayor Van Hook has been working for several months with Mobile County Commission and The Mobile County School Board to take over operation and maintenance of the Semmes Community Center and Park located at 10141 Moffett Road. As of February 1, 2023 , The Semmes Community Center, […]

Read The Latest News

Upcoming Events

Stay up to date with the latest news, announcements, and updates from the City of Semmes. Be informed about important events, projects, and initiatives that shape our community.

No event found!

Make Life Beautiful

Community One

Community two

Community three

Community four

Sign up for City of Semmes Newsletter!

Get news from City of Semmes in your inbox.

© 2023 City of Semmes, Alabama. All rights reserved. Designed & Developed by Southern View Media.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram